Ridgeback Journey (Safari)
Ridgeback Journey has intense mulberry, plum and pepper spice with a hint of mint evolves to notes of Christmas cake and leather. The rich, juicy mid palate runs seamlessly onto a long, mineral finish.
- Cart can contain 60 items at most.
- Maximum quantity allowed for category Single Bottles: 60
There are 4 cultivars used in this blend:
• The 4 cultivars used in our Journey blend were harvested at optimal ripeness at vario us stage s during the period of 15 February to 7 March 2013
• The generous attention given to all component vineyards which included leaf plucking, narrow canopies and bunch trimming ensured optimally ripe fruit tannin and full berry flavour.
|Merlot||Cab Sau||Petit Verdot||Cab Franc|
|Sugar||24.8° balling||24.9° balling||24.5° balling||24.9° balling|
- All of the above were de stemmed without excessive crushing and all unwanted stalks removed on the sorting table. The whole berry component in the open stainless steel fermenters was at 40%.
- After 12 hours of cold soaking each of the musts were inoculated with a commercial yeast strain best suited to the specific variety.
- Pump overs were given three to four times daily to extract colour, tannin and flavour. Each tank also received a rack and return.
- Fermentation for each of the cultivars ran at 24-28 degrees Celsius and lasted for 5- 7 days.
- Thereafter the wine was gently pressed and free run was consolidated with press fractions.
- The wine was gravity fed to second and third fill French oak barrels for secondary malo-lactic fermentation.
- Maturation in 225 liters French oak barrels lasted for 13 months.
- The specially selected barrels for all 4 varieties were then blended and lightly filtered prior to bottling.
Intense mulberry, plum and pepper spice with a hint of mint evolves to notes of Christmas cake and leather. The rich, juicy mid palate runs seamlessly onto a long, mineral finish.
This blend is immensely versatile and would complement dishes including braised lamb, game or veal as well as dark chocolate.
|Alcohol:||14%||Bottling date:||11 June 2014|
|Residual sugar:||2.5g/l||Production:||15 148 bottles|
|Total acidity:||5.65 g/l||Origin:||Paarl|