Ridgeback Shiraz has intense, upfront notes of dark cherry, cracked black pepper, liquorice and a hint of tobacco leaf are cradled by oak spice and suede tannins on the long savoury finish.
North south facing vineyards are grown in a combination of Glenrosa and Oakleaf soils. The vine shoots are vertically positioned on high trellises for optimal vine and bunch ripening. Irrigation is schedul ed according to soil moisture monitoring and leaf water potential profiles.
• Grapes were handpicked from 22 February – 6 March 2012
- Harvesting was scheduled for optimal phenolic ripeness and to ensure the retention of the vibrant fruit flavour in the berries. The hand harvested bunches were destalked onto the sorting table where only the very best berries were selected for ferment.
- A whole berry component of about 30% reached the fermenter.
- The mash was fermented in open top stainless steel fermenters at 24-28°C and ferment lasted 6 days.
- Judicious pump overs for extraction of flavour, aromatics and tannins were carried out 3- 4 times daily during this time.
- The mash was immediately pressed after alcoholic fermentation was completed and the free run and pressed fractions were consolidated.
- Wine was gravity fed to 225 liters barrels for secondary malo-lactic fermentation.
- The wine was racked twice for clarification during the maturation period.
- Maturation lasted for 19 months in 50% first, 25% second and 25% third-fill French oak barrels.
- Blending of selected barrels was followed by a light filtration before bottling
Intense, upfront notes of dark cherry, cracked black pepper, liquorice and a hint of tobacco leaf are cradled by oak spice and suede tannins on the long savoury finish.
The elegantly bold and mildly spicy nature of our Shiraz pairs well with robust flavours such as rump or rib eye with blue cheese and truffle.
|Alcohol:||13.5%||Bottling date:||17 October 2013|
|Residual sugar:||2.1g/l||Release:||October 2014|
|Total acidity:||5.5 g/l||IPW:||Yes|
|Extract:||33.0 g/l||Bottles:||9 310|
|Total SO2:||99mg/l||Cellaring:||7 to 10 years|
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.